Monday, January 21, 2008

Yahooooo!!!

It’s not a promotion of Yahoo at my blog space, it’s a shout of excitement that at the end of this week I was given the red-carpet treatment!!! The welcome was all the more pleasant for being quite unlooked-for.







This week Carito (ALU Partnership Manager) arrived to the UK and got pretty much challenged, I bet, to organize that marvellous introductory event for all of the ALU interns. So the event took place on Friday where all of the interns and their managers got together to meet each other, build a better understanding of ALU and AIESEC, share the experience so far including all of the pros and cons.

I myself found it very useful to gain the feeling that there are more people in reality (not only in a virtual space :) working as interns as I am and get their thoughts and ideas on how to maximize our learning experience while we are here.











Definitely we need to start the discussed monthly meetings aiming to share as professional questions and ideas as cultural experience!!! (Hehe, maaaan, here we go again with the Learning circles :)

What amazed me most of all was an excursion to the Lab where technicians sit and test the equipment. Enormous amount of cables, boxes, laptops… We were mazing around it for an hour and I felt that I got totally lost and have no clue how to unthread the maze… Happily there was a guide – an outgoing Indian fellow – who showed the way out.

We even got a chance to see that super-duper-secret BSR Femto device!!!! To be frank, just a box… To be technically frank, OUTSTANDING!!!! And that made me wonder again how you can come up with anything like that?!?! I am still experiencing that internal confrontation over data transmitting when look at cables fixed to my computer…How in the world you would invent something as much incredible as that when a picture of yourself or your favourite music file can be transmitted to your friends' computers through the ‘air’* (*Well, air was mentioned to simplify the explanation of the process. If you want to know the complete truth on how it all works check on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunication )








After coming back to Maidenhead Marti and me went to get some ‘noodles’…Ha!!! I felt myself so goofy after dreaming about Italian pasta and showing the way to Noodlebar :):):) It turned out that Noodle bar is a Chinese restaurant. The clue appeared when we set down and I noticed chopsticks by every plate…
-Why? – wondered me.
-Because!!! – explained Marti.

We laughed hard after that and summed up the day in a totally positive and relaxing atmosphere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to ALU! Before you get too indoctrinated in boxes and size - check out the balance and what we do at The Lab (for Alcatel-Lucent) that has little to do with the hardware and a lot to do with the user experience. It will add a nice balance to what you are learning in the back office!

And again, welcome!