Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Victory as a message...

Probably most of us believe that history written in all of the smart books is the only truth stating what was happening then for real... If so, I might be an exception... I do firmly believe that history was re-written every time when a new emperor or political leader started their era of 'innovative leadership'... Just try to compare the same 'real' facts mentioned in articles of different authors, beliefs of different cultures, attitudes of different nations and you would see that we all look upon the TRUTH from our own roof, the way we find it more understandable and more convenient to us.

Couple of weeks ago I had a deep discussion with one of my colleagues about Second World War and the true Victory... I've got confused with the fact that it was Great Britain winning the War... only GB... the person tried to convince me that it is the point of view of the whole Europe... including Eastern Europe as well... Hmmm... That makes it to be another proof that we tell what we were told the way they (governments) wanted us to see the facts...

I will not fight and dig to the roots... I was not there (lucky me!) as anyone of my mates who try to argue on that issue... but I want to share why for over 60 years Russia considers the Victory Day to be the most important holiday every year, the Day of May 9th...

9th of May is the Day when Russia celebrates its Victory over the German regime and German forces... It is the Day to remember the Great Patriotic War (that's how Russians call that War - known in Europe as Second World War - but for us it will always be the Great War as so many people have died, so many lives were broken, so many dreams were never to come true...) loses and challenges that Russians and people around the world had to experience, the goal of Human Happiness to fight for...

I was wondering why we, as a country, celebrate the Victory day on 9th of May as the rest of the world does it on 8th… We do celebrate it 24 hours later as Germany capitulated firstly to America and Great Britain and only then to Soviet Union. They’ve hoped that Western alliance forces would treat them in a more tolerant way than Soviets…and guess that was a smart thing to do…

8th of May was the day for Soviet Union, as for Russia today, the day to remember all of the people who took part in the Great World War but did not receive a chance to come back from the battle field… It’s the day of a Great Sorrow as 25-30 million of Soviet people have died, and many have never been found…

When the time to celebrate has come, people were dancing, kissing, singing and talking… One of the sea captains exclaimed – “It’s time to start living!”…

I had my great grand father participating in the War… I was young then but curious in what it was like to take part in the Great War… He shared with me his story that I still keep in mind…

It is sad that Second World War is forgotten by some people today…who keep on playing in the war games not via game consoles but in a real life… I hope that we will remember it forever and try to avoid in the future, so our kids and us will enjoy the lives and strive to improve what was achieved throughout the centuries…and not to destroy it…

So Happy Victory Day to all of you! And be safe…always!

No comments: